Trunk or Treat: Oct 31
New Beginning Baptist Church is hosting “Trunk or Treat” at the church on Friday, October 31st from 5-8pm. All area children are invited to attend! The church is located at 2305 Highway 63, four miles west of Highway 25E in Harrogate. For questions or further information, please call the church office at 423-869-7378.
“Mr. Fisher’s Journey thru Hell” Hayrides: Oct 24 & 25
New Beginning Baptist Church is sponsoring “Mr. Fisher’s Journey thru Hell” on Friday and Saturday, October 24th and 25th, beginning at 7:30pm each night at the church. The church is located at 2305 Highway 63, four miles west of Highway 25E in Harrogate. Rides will continue on the half-hour. Come experience a ride you’ll never forget! Free admission! Everyone is invited and welcome to attend. For questions or if you’d like more information, please call the church office at 423-869-7378.
Newport Harvest Street Festival: Oct. 4-5
Newport, TN – On October 4-5, 2014 the streets of Downtown, Newport TN will be filled with people, food, crafts and entertainment! Craft vendor and food vendor applications are available at the Chamber of Commerce office or online at www.cockecountypartnership.com. We are looking forward to having some of our repeat vendors this year as well as the new ones that have committed to attend!
This highly anticipated annual event promises to provide the crowd with a weekend to remember! Come enjoy the enticing aromas of all your favorite festival foods, from fresh squeezed lemonade, corn dogs, spiral taters, funnel cakes and deep fried desserts. As always we have a wonderful line up for entertainment, so bring your favorite lawn chair, pick out a spot at the entertainment stage and let our performers take you back to the good ol’ days; the days where our ancestors played and performed on their front porches after a hard day’s work. Among other music will be traditional, contemporary and gospel. Our stages will be full of entertainers excited to put on a show for you during both days of the event.
Lee Valley Music Barn Conert: Oct. 3 @ 7pm
The Lee Valley Music Barn, 500 Lee Valley Road, Whitesburg, TN continues the 1st. Friday concert series Friday night, Oct. 3, at 7:00 pm. Featured for this concert will be a very popular bluegrass gospel band, "The Rochesters." from Blacksburg, SC. There is no charge for admission, and there will be food and door prizes. Visit www.theleevalleymusicbarn.com or call 423-235-6152 for information.
Lee Valley Music Barn Benefit Singing: Sept. 27 @ 7pm
The Lee Valley Music Barn, 500 Lee Valley Road, Whitesburg, TN presents the annual Courtney Cemetery Benefit Singing Sat. night Sept. 27 at 7:00 pm. Featured for this special event will be: Harp Strings, Mountain Grace, The Brooks Family, and The English Family. All donations will go to Courtney Cemetery for maintenance and up keep of the cemetery. Visit www.theleevalleymusicbarn.com or call 423-235-6152 for information.
- EOC (Educational Opportunities Center) is offering assistance with applications for federal student financial aid. Have you been considering going to college? Do you need help with your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)? Find out how much you may qualify for in FREE student aid money. All services are FREE. Claiborne County residents please call (423)851-4761 or (423)748-4634 to schedule an appointment.
- Claiborne County Historical, Genealogy Society announces that beginning January 8, 2012, they will be open two days a week to assist with your genealogy needs/questions/research. Sundays from 1:00p – 5:00p and Mondays from 10:00a – 4:00p. The Society is located on Old Knox Road across from the Public Library.
- Car donations are needed for Boys and Girls Clubs nationwide. The cars are auctioned off and the proceeds are used to support their numerous programs. Call 800-246-0493 for more information.
- American Red Cross Donations: 1-888-578-7531, or visit www.redcrossnetn.org.
- The Broken Spur Dance Club offers beginners line dancing on Monday’s from 7-8:30p. Cost is $5 per lesson. Call 423 411-0468 for more information. Kickboxing classes are now being offered on Monday and Thursday nights from 5:30p – 6:30p, and Zumba classes are available on Wednesday nights from 5:00p – 6:00p and Saturday’s from 1:00p – 2:00p. Call Jamie at (423) 489-9829 for more information.
- Weight Watcher’s meetings are held at the Upper Room Ministries every Thursday at 6:00p. For more information call 423 489-9987.
- Mountain Hollow Farm hosts the “Block of the Month Club” the first Tuesday of each month, from 6:00p –8:00p. Contact Beth at (423) 869-8927, or email:
for more information.
Government Meeting Announcements. The public is always allowed to and encouraged to attend these meetings (School Board, BMA, etc.).
- Town of Tazewell Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month. Meetings begin at 7:30 p.m. unless a public hearing is planned prior to the meeting. If you have a concern and would like to appear before Town Council, please contact the Town Manager at 276-988-2501. For more Town of Tazewell information, go to http://www.townoftazewell.org/.
- City of Harrogate Board of Mayor and Alderman (BMA) Meetings take place the 4th Monday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at Harrogate City Hall. A worksession is conducted at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday prior to the regular monthly meeting. More information is available at http://www.harrogate-tn.com.
- Cumberland Gap Board of Mayor and Alderman meets the 1st Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Cumberland Gap Town Hall, followed by the Beer Board. The Board of Mayor and Alderman meet at least one week before the regular scheduled meeting for a planning session. At that meeting, the board reviews and finalizes the agenda for the following month's meeting. After that date no other items can be added to the agenda. Minutes from these meetings are posted on the site to view when they become available. More information is available at http://www.townofcumberlandgap.com/.
- TENNderCare is a program designed to ensure children of all ages receive needed healthcare. If you need assistance with meeting your child’s healthcare needs, call the Claiborne County Health Dept at 1-866-311-4287, to see if you qualify. More information is available at http://www.state.tn.us/tenncare/tenndercare/.
- The Tennessee Highway Patrol conducts roadblocks periodically to ensure only qualified (in compliance with Tennessee driving laws) drivers are operating motor-vehicles.
- Claiborne County Adult Education program offers instruction in Basic Skills, Pre-GED®, GED® Preparation and English as a Second or Optional Language (ESOL) for non-native speakers of English. Materials and instruction is free of charge. The classes are held at the “Adult Education Center.” Call (423)626-8222 or go to http://www.claibornecountyschools.com/adulted/Adult%20Education%20Tab.html for more information.
- Tennessee Handgun Permit Training Classes are held periodically at the Claiborne County Justice Center. Call Kyle Payne, Instructor, (423) 626-9300 to find out when the next class will be held.
- Tennessee and Virginia Certified Handgun Training Classes are held periodically at Powell Valley Conservation Club. Email:
, or phone Rodger Moore at (865) 585-6539 for more information on when the next class will be held.
- Claiborne County Animal Shelter holds “animal Clinics periodically. Cost for Spay/Neuter is $60 for dogs and $45 for cats. Must have an APPOINTMENT. Call (423) 626-2686 for more information.
- Powell Valley Community Center now has Heat/Air. The Center is smoke, drug and alcohol free and can be reserved for special occasions for $50. Call Judy (423) 869-2428 for more information.
- Tennessee Department of Children’s Services is seeking Foster Parents. Contact Marlene Williams (423) 318-6070 for more information.
- Youth Villages is currently looking for Foster Parents. Must be over 25 years of age, contact Jamie Hughes (423) 283-6554 for more information.
- Claiborne County Hospital Requests Home Medication Lists. Claiborne County Hospital and Nursing Home: Tazewell, TN- In Claiborne County Hospital’s ongoing efforts to improve the quality of care for our patients, we would like your help in making sure we have a current list of medications when coming to the hospital or when being transported by ambulance. It is also very important that we are made aware of any medication allergies. If you bring your medication bottles to the hospital, please make sure to bring only the medications you are currently taking. The medication list should include: Medication Allergies, Name of Medication, Medication Strength (mg, gram, etc.), Number of times per day the medication is to be taken, Date of last Pneumonia and/or Flu vaccine or any vaccine history, Example: Aspirin 325 mg, one tablet daily. By providing this information when you visit our hospital, you will aid our health care professionals in providing you with the best care possible. For additional information on this initiative, contact Pharmacy Director Kathy Kelley at 423-526-2235.
- The Claiborne County Library is of offering FREE computer classes. If you might be interested in learning about the computer, specific software, or social sites like Facebook, call (423) 626-5414.
- Claiborne County Animal Shelter is now offering “grooming” from a professional groomer on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Must have an APPOINTMENT. Call (423) 626-2686 for more information.